Visa options to stay in the EU for more than 90 days (for Non-EU citizens)

Visa options to stay in the EU for more than 90 days (for Non-EU citizens)


If a non-EU citizen wishes to stay in an EU country for more that 90 days in 180.  It will be necessary to apply for a visa for residency.

The different types of visa are listed below in our translation from article 25 of the Ley Organica 4/2000:

Article 25 cont.. Types of Visa.

Foreigners who intend to enter the Spanish territory must be provide visa, validly issued and in force, attached in your passport or travel document or, where appropriate, in a separate document, except as provided for in Article 25 (2) of this law.

The visas referred to in the preceding paragraph shall be of one of the following types:

(a) Transit Visa, enabling a person to transit through the international transit area of a

Spanish airport or to cross Spanish territory. It shall not be enforceable to obtain such

visa in cases of transit of a foreign national for the purpose of repatriation or removal

requested by a member state of the European Union or by a third state

which has signed an international agreement with Spain on this matter.


(B) Visa of stay / Tourist Visa, enabling for an uninterrupted stay or successive periods for a period or sum of periods the total duration of which does not exceed three months per semester (180 days) from the date of the first entry.  This type of visa is not required (or is actually waivered) for UK nationals



(c) Residence Visa, which permits residence without employment; or professional activity.  Also known as a Non-Lucrative visa


(d) Residence and work visa, enabling entry and stay for a period maximum of three months and for the commencement, within that period, of the employment or professional activity which the work visa would have been previously authorized for. During this time the affiliation

of the worker in the Social Security system must occur, which will make the work and residence permit effective, whether it be for a self-employed worker or worker contracted by a company.  If the 3-month deadline elapses without social security affiliation taking place, the

Foreign national will be obliged to leave the national territory, otherwise committing the infringement referred to in Article 53 (1).(a) this act.


(e) Residence and seasonal work visa, enabling you to work on a freelance basis up to nine months in a period of twelve consecutive months.


f) Study Visa, which allows you to stay in Spain for the realization of courses, studies, research or training, student exchanges, internships, non-work or volunteer services, but not paid labour.


g) Research visa, which enables the foreigner to stay in Spain to carry out research projects within the framework of a host agreement signed with a research body.


In addition to this translated text, the investor visa, or ‘Golden Visa’ as it is known, is an option.  This is available to individuals who invest at least 500,000 euros in Spain through property purchase or invest via other means.  Please click the link in this HERE for more information.



Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us should you need more advice on which visa would be best suited to you.  We will refer you to our specialist immigration lawyer.


*this article will be updated regularly as changes to the legislation occur and when new information comes to light.  Be sure to check back to see new updates.

 Click here to propose a question or vote for one that interests you

error: Content is protected by copyright law.