S1 Certificate – entitlement to reciprocal healthcare in Spain


*Please note, this is a summary of the full article below.  For detailed information, please read the complete article.

The good news is that the S1 scheme has been kept under the new post Jan 2021 rules.  If you are entitled to claim a state pension in the UK or other European country, then you can ask your department of work and pensions to issue you an S1 certificate.  Once you have it, you need to affiliate yourself to the Spanish social security system.  You will then be entitled to get a SIP card which gives you full access to the Spanish health system.  If you need any assistance with the affiliation process, please get in touch.

To request an S1 certificate from the UK for yourself and your dependents, contact the following department :

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm


Full Article or Translation



*this article will be updated regularly as changes to the legislation occur and when new information comes to light.  Be sure to check back to see new updates.

 Click here to propose a question.

error: Content is protected by copyright law.