How do I get a tourist licence for my property in Spain?

How do I get a tourist licence for my property in Spain?


A tourist licence is necessary in Spain if you wish to rent out your property short term to tourists.

Tourist licences are issued by the Conselleria department and normally take around two months to be issued after application.

In order to apply for a tourist licence, you need to have in place three certificates:


– An Energy Efficiency Certificate (check if your property already has one as they last 10 years).  A qualified engineer must do this for you.

– A ‘Licencia de segunda ocupación’,  otherwise known as a cedula or habitation licence.  You apply for this at your local town hall so speak to them for more details

– A ‘ Certificado de compatibilidad urbanística’.   Again, this is applied for at your local town hall.

Once you have all three certificates, you can then apply to Conselleria for your tourist licence.


Due to the complexity of getting all of the certificates together, we recommend using a professional service to help you with this.


*this article will be updated regularly as changes to the legislation occur and when new information comes to light.  Be sure to check back to see new updates.

Click here to propose a question

error: Content is protected by copyright law.