Can I still use my EHIC (European Health card) card as a UK national?

*Extract taken from Brits in Spain (British Embassy)  Facebook page:
If in the coming months, when travel restrictions are lifted, you have friends or family planning on travelling to Spain, they can continue to use their UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The agreement reached between the UK and the EU means that they can continue to access necessary healthcare when in the EU, as before.
Current EHICs remain valid until the expiry date on the card, so cards don’t need to be replaced immediately. Once it expires, or if lost, they can apply for a replacement card, now called the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). Find out more at
It is important to note that British residents who have the S1 certificate and receive reciprocal health in Spain should apply for a UK-issued EHIC by calling the following number:

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services

Phone +44 (0)191 218 1999

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm




*this article will be updated regularly as changes to the legislation occur and when new information comes to light.  Be sure to check back to see new updates.

 Click here to propose a question or vote for one that interests you

error: Content is protected by copyright law.