Driving licence categories

When you attend the medical to exchange your driving licence for a Spanish licence, it will be necessary to tell the doctor which categories you would like to keep on the licence.  I explain below the different types of licence categories:

Basically, there are two types of licence, non-professional and professional:


Non- professional licence

This is the most common licence and includes all categories up to BE.  If you have a motorbike licence then it will be included.  It is also our understanding that you can ride up to a 125cc motorbike/scooter (with some exceptions).

A non-professional licence (category BE) allows the holder to drive a vehicle up to a maximum of 3.5 metric tonnes.  This would be a typical long wheelbase transit van (the type you use to move house).  Most mobile homes are now made to the 3.5 tonne specification as most people have the non-professional licence.

The non-professional licence lasts for 10 years (for people up to 60 years old) and 5 years for people aged 65 and over.

The cost of the medical for the non-professional licence is 50 euros (IVA included).


Professional licence

This includes all categories above BE such as C, C1, D1E etc.

This allows the holder to drive much larger vehicles (7.5 metric tonne for example).

The professional categories last for 5 years (up to 60 years old) and 3 years above 60 years old.

The cost of the medical for the professional licence is 55 euros (IVA included) and it is a more stringent medical examination.


It is important to decide which licence categories you wish to keep before you attend the medical.  Simply put, you should decide if you are likely to drive anything heavier than 3.5 metric tonnes in the future.

Many thanks.

error: Content is protected by copyright law.